Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Reconnecting After 30 Years

Actually, it's "only" been 29 years, but I figured it would be OK to round up in this instance. I just got back from lunch with an old friend I had not seen since he moved away after 6th Grade in the Summer of 1978. Holy "Wayback Machine," Mr. Peabody!

So, how exactly did this come about? Well, I recently stumbled upon my yearbooks from 5th and 6th Grade while cleaning out the garage, and started looking through them to see who signed their names. One of the guys who signed them -- my aforementioned friend, Chuck -- has a pretty unique last name, so I employed the miracle of Google.

Sure enough, said Internet miracle provided me with Chuck's e-mail address, and it turns out he works maybe 15 miles away from me. Given the fact that we both now live more than 300 miles from where we went to 6th Grade, this definitely falls into the "Small World" category.

I'm still in awe at how quickly we were able to comfortably converse during lunch, especially when you consider we had not spoken to each other since before the 28-year-old lady in the cubicle next to me WAS BORN. Boy, does THAT ever put it into perspective!

Chuck's still the same great guy I remember, and he certainly doesn't look 41. I have to admit being especially relieved by this fact, because right before Chuck showed up at the restaurant, I saw another man I thought might be him, but who looked to be in his mid-50s at the absolute youngest. It's good to know we at least don't SEEM like we're approaching middle age just yet!

I forgot to bring the yearbooks with me to lunch, so there were some names neither of us could quite remember to bring up, but that will give us something to do the next time we have lunch. As for today, we just caught up on what we've done career-wise since school, and also fondly recalled The Great Webelos Spring Break Trip to Big Bend of 1976.

I'm really looking forward to meeting up with Chuck again soon. It just goes to show you that sometimes faded memories can be quickly brought back into focus when you find someone to help you piece them together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home